1. Why is WARFIGHTER ADVANCE™ launching The ADVANCE 7-Day™ now?
The number of military service related suicides has grown to epidemic size over the last decade, with a high proportion attributable to post-traumatic stress and deployment-related traumas. Over the past 13 years, our leadership team has learned valuable lessons about the issues and struggles our Warfighters face. In response to feedback from hundreds of program participants (alumni), and the rapidly growing number of Veterans and active duty service members seeking support, we have reconfigured our programs and services to more aggressively address the needs of service members in distress.
2. What other services does WARFIGHTER ADVANCE™ offer?
While The ADVANCE 7-Day™ program will serve as a core program of WA, a range of other services will be offered and a variety of new programs are under development. ADVANCE special sessions on Combat Stress and Compassion Fatigue, Vietnam veterans, women, military sexual assault, experiential learning and leadership training are offered on an ad hoc or contracted basis.
3. When are The ADVANCE 7-Day™ programs scheduled?
The ADVANCE 7-Day™ programs are scheduled throughout the year. Upcoming 2017 ADVANCE-7 Day™ Ops are scheduled for March 19-25 and April 2-8.
4. Who is eligible to attend The ADVANCE 7-Day™ program?
We invite and welcome Warfighters who are struggling with what is typically known as “PTSD,” with or without a formal diagnosis. Other post-deployment “mental illness” labels or problems (anxiety, depression, adjustment disorder, anger, mTBI, to name a few) are also considered. All referrals are self-referrals. No paperwork documenting “mental illness” is required or accepted. Warfighters who have been treated by traditional psychiatric methods, as well as Warfighters who have been struggling on their own to reintegrate or deal with their operational traumas are welcomed.
5. Where is The ADVANCE 7-Day™ program located?
Today, The ADVANCE 7-Day™ Training Ops are held at Camp Merrick in Nanjemoy, Maryland. Customized programs, speaking, educating and consulting activity will also take place across the United States. Warfighters from every state attend our program at no cost to the participant.
6. Where can I locate additional information?
Phone: (202) 239-7395
Phone: (202) 239-7395
WARFIGHTER ADVANCE™ and ISEPP are pleased to announce the launch of the newly branded The "ADVANCE 7-Day™" intervention (training) program for veterans and active duty service members. Our program is designed specifically for those Warfighters coping with post-deployment stress and other deployment-related traumas that have adversely impacted their successful reintegration.
- In 2003, The ADVANCE™ training program began taking shape. Dr. Mary Vieten, a United States Naval Officer and trained psychologist, was determined to step outside of the ineffectual medical model and return warriors with operational stress challenges to the fullness of their potential. This idea turned into a plan, then a dedicated staff, and finally the execution of what is now known as, The ADVANCE 7-Day™ - an intensive didactic and experiential program in a retreat setting that empowers through knowledge, emotional or spiritual development, community of shared experience and Veteran relationships.
- Since 2003, our team (now known as "The ADVANCE Team™") has provided critically needed intervention services to more than 900 veterans.
- In early 2017, we will form "WARFIGHTER ADVANCE™" as a 501(c)(3) organization. In the interim, as we establish branding and web presence, we have entered into a Fiscal Sponsor Agreement (FSA) with the International Society for Ethical Psychology & Psychiatry (ISEPP). ISEPP has gladly adopted this endeavor as a special project and partnered with us in support and oversight of our efforts. Dr. Mary Vieten, Education Director for The ADVANCE 7-Day™ is a long-standing and valuable member of ISEPP.
- Our team and this organization are committed to providing The ADVANCE 7-Day™ training ops and intervention programs for Veterans on an ongoing basis. We have scheduled eight different retreat evolutions in 2017 and 12 evolutions in 2018.
- The ADVANCE Team™ is comprised of full-time staff and volunteers of highly credentialed and certified professionals with military experience and years of training in reintegration and supporting transitioning warriors.
- The ADVANCE Team™ believes that the post-deployment rate of suicide among Warfighters is personal, and is committed to work tirelessly to stop the tragedy. We are committed to making every Warfighter we meet a subject matter expert and a force multiplier, capable of spreading the word and lifting other Warfighters beyond the trauma of war.
- As a pioneering distinctive, The ADVANCE™ program rejects the popular medical model and the use of “treatment” to “cure” operational stress. The program rejects the role of psychiatric medications in Warfighter reintegration. It rejects a diagnostic classification system as a means to label or classify the Warfighter's experience or reintegration.
- Knowledge is power. The ADVANCE Team™ is committed to openness, full disclosure and providing every Warfighter with fully informed consent. This means every Warfighter is entitled to know all risks, benefits and available alternatives. Where the risks and benefits of medical interventions, such as psychiatric medications, were not fully articulated by the medical establishment, we are committed to remediating this information.
- Our program outcomes have gained the attention of academia and psychological trauma experts conducting advanced studies on the effects of Post Traumatic Stress and specific non-medical strategies contributing to the resiliency of the Warfighter. We are presently considering partnership proposals with at least two nationally prominent universities for evaluative, quantitative assessment in order to effectively measure and publicize impact.